Thursday, April 16, 2009

Eggs Benedict Day

I’m a little bit distressed about the fact that I’m completely unprepared for National Eggs Benedict Day. I mean, let’s face it: Easter was less than a week ago so, of course, my egg supply has been depleted by design-mad colorists.

Even if I was prepared in the egg department, I’m not quite sure what I’d do to celebrate. Not make eggs benedict, that’s for sure. I haven’t made a proper eggs benedict since around the time I had a moonroof in my car. (To tell the truth: I still have a moonroof in my car, I just don’t call it that anymore.)

The trouble wasn’t with the eggs -- I’m a killer-mean poacher -- nor with the ham (since we’ve just had National Glazed Ham Day, the ham part won’t be problematic for most people... right?) and I usually have english muffins somewhere on the premises. No: it’s the hollandaise that gives me trouble. Not actually making it: it’s not that difficult to make a proper hollandaise if you follow a good recipe and make a commitment. And I certainly don’t mind eating it. The trouble is, when you make it you’re forced to acknowledge what’s in it, and what’s in it is not good for either my heart or my ass, two bits I’m quite fond of.

So, for me, when it comes to eggs benedict, ignorance is bliss. If you are bolder here are a couple recipes that likely won’t steer you wrong. The one, a classic bennie, is from Delia Smith (I love it when she says "squidgy" as she does in this one). Any recipe with "squidgy" in it can’t be half bad.) This recipe has been “Emerlized” so it’s not actually a benedict at all. (Looks good, though.) And this one is from mystery author Mary Daheim, so it’s a bit more about getting there quickly so you still have time to read. (You can argue for that.)

Happy Eggs Benedict Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment