Thursday, August 26, 2010

Found in the Forest

I have to mark my calendar right now: set it up for next year. On this date, I found 2010’s first serious armload of chanterelles. Remember.

I won’t share the where with you. I can’t. The location is a secret so great, I only barely whisper it to my dog. But my delight -- year after year -- is unchanging. There is something so promising about that first glimmer of gold. The edge of that first cap. And then another nearby. And by the time I’d gathered my armload, visions of what they will become were dancing in my head. Back in my kitchen, I discovered I’d scored a generous half pound of perfect, golden forest chanterelles. Certainly enough to take a run at something wonderful.

So what will they become? Though the possibilities are vast, this time I think they’re speaking to me about meat. On my last visit to Salt Spring Island, I brought home some really special locally produced beef. The last steak from this terrific find is even now defrosting for my dinner. Some time later today, I’ll slice my beautiful mushrooms -- not too thin! Then, after I’ve cooked my steak in my favorite cast iron pan, I’ll let the chanterelle slices tumble into some melted butter I’ll have added to the pan juices. Sauteed briskly, I’ll add a bit of wine, then still more butter, finally pouring the result over the steak and some haricot vertes that I roasted while the steak and mushroom cooking was going on.

With a grind of sea salt and a glass of a big, velvety red I’ll sit on my deck and contemplate the view and the coming fall. One so filled with promise, it takes my breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment